12.20.2010

merry christmas, I hope all of you swim with the current this season!

One of my favorite blogs that I follow is Enjoying the Small Things (thanks Laci!).  Kelle (yes, I feel like we are on a first name basis since I read about her life everyday) is an incredible writer, photographer and mother. In today's post she talked about her visual of Christmas that she has always had and how real life isn't always exactly how you visioned it.

"I have learned that real life is different from dream life, and I've managed to merge the two over the years. The moral of the story is this...If you want it, work hard to create it but leave cushion for the unexpected and embrace everything outside of that "perfect" vision as good and meaningful parts of your story you would have never had the opportunity to know had you stuck to the script. Ad lib, go with it, swim with the current. In the end, what you will have created albeit a Christmas memory or life's final script...it will be good."

I am not great at ad libbing once I have a vision of how I want things to go, but I have had to do that a lot this year.  I guess I am getting better at it but there are days when I just don't want to go with the flow and I want things to go back to the way they were before my mom passed away. My point is Kelle is right, its ok to have perfect visions of how you want things to go but its the times that you can leave some room for the unexpected when you will create a new memory, or for me this holiday season, new beginnings. 

My family will be in the OC for Christmas this year and I am so excited to go with the flow and swim with the current...no seriously, we are taking surf lessons next Monday. 

There will be lots of blogging to do when I get back, but until then, Merry Christmas and Cheers to 2011!!


http://laist.com/attachments/la_zach/surfingsanta2.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Love me some Kelle! I get grumpy when she skips blogging for a day! Surfing! How awesome! Merry Christmas, Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OBSESSED WITH HER!! Ohh and Jill- in 2008, my grandmother passed away in August and then James passed away in December. That Christmas, we changed up everything and it was so hard. Of course it's still hard but it's becoming more "tradition" each year. We all just stick together. :) I think about you a lot and I hope you have a great Christmas! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous21.12.10

    This is Stephanie, but I can't figure out how to post unless it is as "Anonymous". Swim with the current... great advice for all of us. I checked out the blog you referenced.. love it. I especially love the music play list. It has kept me entertained all afternoon! Can't wait to see you in just a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for suggesting Kelle Hampton's blog. I think I spent over three hours reading it yesterday! I am definitely a follower of her now! I can't wait to hear all about your Christmas in Cali. I am happy the Spence family changed up the traditions this year! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete