2.11.2011

fancy plumbing

A term used by my father's thoracic surgeon post triple bypass surgery.  Oh yeah, my 62 year old, 140 lb, fish eating, red wine drinking father had triple bypass surgery on Tuesday. Not planned.  I took him for a test on Monday morning and by Tuesday morning they were repairing 3 clogged arteries that were dangerously close to causing a fatal heart attack (yes, they used the word fatal when letting him know he was about to have a heart attack).  So within a year of my mother passing away, we find ourselves at North Kansas City Hospital...again.  But this time, this time, it is different. The optimism is beaming off the nurses and doctor's faces every time we talk to them.  Because my dad is in such great shape besides a few clogged arteries, his chances of not making a full recovery are very slim.  He started walking on Wednesday afternoon and is now training for the NYC marathon, ok not really but if that's what he wants to do he has the new fancy plumbing to get him there. He is scheduled to come home from the hospital this weekend where he can watch all the golf and basketball he wants from his own bed.  Of course I wish none of you have to be any where near a hospital any time soon, but North Kansas City Hospital does some pretty amazing things.  I have a professional crush on all the nurses I have seen in the last year and it seriously makes me consider a career change. 

So needless to say this week has been a roller coaster, here are a few high's and low's.

High: Volkswagen/Darth Vader Superbowl commercial and Glee after-show
Low: Groupon Commercials and Christina Aguilera

High: Dropping off my dad at the hospital early enough to get my oil changed and Starbucks
Low: Getting a call from the doctor that my dad will need bypass surgery while at work, and then leaving in a complete frenzy, embarrassing

High: My brothers have both been in town all week
Low: The reason they are in town

High: Hearing my dad say "The nurses are cute" after coming out of sedation, a sure sign of a full recovery
Low: Seeing him in pain

High: After a long search (6 liquor stores) with nothing to show, it pays to know the Elbows.  Last night we got to enjoy Christopher Elbow's Chocolate Ale with Chris and family.  Seriously though, its was delicious. And I would say go get some, but as of right now its sold out.  We did bring a bottle home with us, and I am actually scared that Rob will drink it without me. Oh and the Goat Cheese and Honey and Toasted Coconut Glace Ice Cream flavors are to die for.
Low: Did you see how much I ate and drank above? I didn't mention include our dinner!

High: Its Friday!
Low: There is nothing low about Friday :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Jill, I'm thinking about your Dad. Hope you have a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean wow! Hope he's recovering well- What a scary thing. I had to read this to my mom though about the NKC nurses! She thought that was great! She said that if she would have known he was there, she definitely would have stopped by to say hi and see how he was doing. But it sounds like everything went smoothly and as planned. Hoping for some better days ahead for you and for your dad. Take care,

    ReplyDelete